Full time Certified School Nurse
Community Consolidated School District 21
Illinois Type 73 Pupil Personnel Services Certificate Baccalaureate Degree
Current Registered Nurse licensure in State of Illinois
Current CPR/AED program completion
Prior professional nursing experience, preferably pediatric, adolescent, community or mental health nursing,
and health program management
Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening technician
Computer literacy and competency in the use of existing technology Presents a professional and healthy appearance
Presents pleasant, calm manner in person and on phone
Enjoys working with others and is patient with children and adults
Ability to read, write and speak clearly and accurately in the English language.
Assistant Superintendent for Support Services
Health Assistants and Health Office Registered Nurses
One to one nurses and other health care providers for students
– Develops and administers a comprehensive school health program
– Collects and analyzes epidemiological and other school health information and makes recommendations based upon statistical data.
– Establishes an accident/injury prevention program to facilitate school safety.
– Assesses the health and safety needs of the school environment on compliance with Occupational
– Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, implementing the Bloodborne Pathogen Control
– Plan and other interventions as indicated.
– Establishes a communicable disease prevention and control program in cooperation with local and state public health agencies .
– Manages school health records in accordance with Illinois School Student Records Act, providing efficient retrieval of information and other related archival responsibilities.
– Participates in Child Find programs and establishes and manages health screening programs according to state mandates and guidelines.
– Participates in the development of health-related policies and procedures in compliance with state mandates and current health practices.
– Participates as a member of the curriculum committee as a resource and specialist in health issues.
– Provides staff in-service programs on health topics including bloodborne pathogens and the district exposure control plan.
– Provides health related classroom instruction.
– Provides and/or delegates direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff including nursing assessment, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, recommending educational modifications, providing
follow-up and evaluation, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
– Provides health information and counseling for students, parents and staff.
– Develops a medication protocol lo safely store, administer, document, and monitor the effectiveness of medication given at school.
– Supervises and/or provides screening and follow-up for deficits in vision, hearing, growth, and development, and other physical deficits.
– Maintains accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions.
– Participates as crisis team member and provides crisis intervention for students and staff in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
– Makes appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/ neglect as a mandated reporter.
Health Office Management
– Maintains a user friendly and organized health services facility conducive to confidential communication and services.
– Purchases and maintains health and OSHA supplies and equipment as indicated for the health office and school.
– Manages and makes recommendations for the health services annual budget and critical needs request.
– Maintains communication with the principal, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to meet the health and safety needs of students.
– Initiates contact with and acts as a liaison between the home, school, community health agencies and the private medical sector to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
– Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
– Participates as a member of the multi-disciplinary team in the identification, evaluation, and placement of students into special education programs. Writes the health component of the Individual Education Plan as indicated.
– Recommends modifications of the school program for students who require accommodations due to a health deficit
– Develops and maintains current health care plans for students who need special nursing interventions during the school day.
– Participates as a member of her professional school nursing and education organizations and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge in both nursing and education fields.
– Participates as a member of the faculty on district committees and association activities.
– Maintains awareness of current policies and procedures in Health Office Manual and AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Book.
Apply here: http://www.generalasp.com/d21/onlineapp/default.aspx