School Nurse Certification PEL-CSN
School nurse professional educator licensure with an endorsement in school nursing recognizes the unique knowledge required of the nursing professional in the education setting. Professional licensure “ensures standard preparation, knowledge, and practice” of the school nurse (University of Illinois/Chicago). The school setting differs from more traditional nurse settings such as hospitals and clinics. Some functions, such as completion of health assessments for special education casework and teaching, require professionally licensed school nurses. Endorsement is granted by the Illinois State Board of Education after the completion of mandatory coursework and a passing score on the school nurse content exam.
Requirements for the School Service Personnel Professional Educator License with endorsement in School Nursing
- Baccalaureate degree
- Licensed as a registered professional nurse in Illinois
- Completion of an approved school nurse certification program for entitlement recommendation for Professional Educator License with endorsement in school nursing.
- 300 hour internship under supervision of a fully qualified school nurse. (NOTE: As of July 1, 1981, the school nurse internship must be provided by an institution of higher education, i.e. college or university, as part of an approved program; the internship requirement usually amounts to a ten (10) week experience, supplemented by one or more seminars.
- Passage of the School Nurse Content examination through the Illinois State Board of Education
(Source: Amended at 28 Ill. Reg. 8556, effective June 1, 2004)
School Nurse Programs prepare candidates for Professional Educator License with endorsement in school nursing.
These are the current, active, and approved programs in Illinois through which the courses and the school nurse internship for the School Nurse Certification/Endorsement may be obtained. The coordinator or contact person for each program is listed below.
- UIC: University of Illinois Chicago: Contact Robin Shannon DNP: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit website at: https://nursing.uic.edu/programs/certificate-programs/school-nurse/
- Illinois State University: Advising Contact: Melissa Moody: email@example.com Visit website at: https://illinoisstate.edu/academics/school-nurse-certificate/
- Lewis University: Contact Dena Hinkle: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit website: https://www.lewisu.edu/academics/nursing/graduate/schoolnurse/index.htm
- DePaul College of Education: Contact: Graduate Admission at (773) 325-4405. Visit website: https://education.depaul.edu/academics/leadership-language-curriculum/licensure-endorsements/Pages/school-nurse-endorsement.aspx
This rule change affects all school personnel holding Professional Educator License, regardless of area of endorsement. Please review the attached or for the entire rule, see “Rules Currently in Effect” under the Part 25 at http://www.isbe.net/rules/archive/default.htm
Look particularly at Sub-part J Section 25.800.
Please note this requirement written in the rule: Upon application for renewal of a professional educator license endorsed in school support personnel, the licensee shall indicate in ELIS whether he or she holds a current and active professional license listed in subsection (c)(1) and electronically sign an assurance that the professional development requirements for that license were met.
In short, RN’s licensed by ISBE as school nurses will need to, at the time of their renewal period, enter the ELIS and provide affirmation that they still hold an active Illinois RN license and are up to date on professional development required for that licensure. “Those individuals who hold the IDFPR license are deemed to have satisfied the renewal requirement (120 hours) and only have to pay registration fees on the educator license.”
National School Nurse Certification Renewal
National certification requires 75 hours of continuing education (CNE) or approved credits related to school nursing practice per 5 year renewal period. The Illinois contact person is Ginger Barnes at email@example.com
For information click here: http://nbcsn.com/recertification.htm
IASN offers an annual convention in the fall of each year. Our national organization (NASN) offers a multi-day convention each June. You may find NASN information at http://www.nasn.org/
For current offerings refer to Upcoming Events or the Event Calendar.
Educational institutions, agencies and other organizations are encouraged to submit information about education offerings and other activities which may be of interest to school nurses.