POSITION TITLE: School Nurse
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Pupil Personnel Services
- Professional Educator License Endorsement in School Nursing
- Registered Nurse licensure, Illinois
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certification
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening technician preferred
- Prior professional nursing experience in pediatric, adolescent community, mental health, or health program management preferred
JOB GOAL: To provide consultation, screening, psycho diagnostic and
related follow-up services to all children for whom the
district is responsible.
- Understand and support the district Strategic Plan, District Improvement Plan, and School Improvement Plans.
- Implement and adhere to district policies and procedures, rules, regulations and directives.
- Demonstrate organizational ability.
- Demonstrate collaborative leadership.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate sound judgment.
- Maintains a friendly and organized health services facility conducive to confidential communication and services.
- Maintains communication with administrators, teachers, other school personnel
and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action, which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Initiates contact with and acts as a liaison between home, school, community health agencies and the private medical sector to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
- Participates as a member of the faculty on district committees and association activities.
- Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health/wellness.
PLANNING, RESEARCH, AND PROGRAM EVALUATION
- Collect and analyze epidemiological and other school health information and make recommendations based upon statistical data.
- Assess the health and safety needs of the school environment in compliance with
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, implementing the Blood Borne Pathogen Control Plan and other interventions as indicated.
- Establishes a communicable disease prevention and control program in cooperation with local and state public health agencies.
- Participates in Child Find programs and establishes and manages health screening programs according to state mandates and guidelines.
- Develops a medication protocol to safely store, administer, document, and monitor the effectiveness of medication given at school.
STAFF SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
- Coordinate services provided by Health Aides.
- Provides health related classroom instruction.
- Provides professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff including nursing assessment, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, recommending educational modifications, providing follow-up and evaluation, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Provides health information and counseling for students, parents and staff.
- Supervises and/or provides screening and follow up for deficits in vision, hearing, growth and development, and other physical deficits.
- Participates as crisis team member and provides crisis intervention for students and staff in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
- Makes appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the identification, evaluation and placement of students into special education and/or 504.
- Recommends modifications of the school program for students who require accommodations due to a health deficit.
- Develops and maintains current health care plans for students who need special nursing interventions during the school day.
- Serve as a member of the concussion oversight team, as well as, assess students and place into return to learn with daily follow-ups until the student is released.
- Provides staff in-service programs on health topics as needed.
- Encourage membership and participation in professional organizations
- Demonstrate the ability to self evaluate objectively in terms of leadership, performance and professional growth.
- Participates as a member of the professional school nursing and education organizations and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge in both nursing and education fields.
- Ensure ongoing growth and compliance for all health related mandates.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Participates in the development of health-related policies and procedures in compliance with state mandate and health practices.
- Promote and maintain the safety of the campus.
RECORDS AND REPORTS
- Maintains accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions.
- Maintains the annual budget for health services.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.