Position Title: Registered Nurse
Applicants are instructed to deal specifically with qualifying factors mentioned in the following posting.
Position Type: Nurse
Location: District wide
Date Available: August 24, 2020
Description: Promote positive health and prevention of disease and injury in the school setting; assume authority for the care of a student or staff member who has suffered injury or sudden illness until the parent, physician, or ambulance attendants assume responsibility.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Nurse Preparation
2. Current Registered Nurse Licensure in State of Illinois
3. Current First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation program completion
Required – Experience in nursing and completion of a school health orientation program.
Preferred: Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening technician
ESSENTIAL PERFORMANCE RESPOSIBILITIES:
1. Provides direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, and maintaining appropriate documentation in accordance with the professional standards, school policy and state and local mandates. May delegate tasks as allowed in the Illinois Nurse Practice Act
2. Administers medication with appropriate documentation
3. Participates in maintaining accurate medical record to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions, and the related archival responsibilities. This includes exclusion from school attendance when these requirements are not met
4. Provides health information and counseling for students, parents, and staff
5. Performs mandated screening procedures including vision and hearing (requires state credentials as a screener)
6. Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
1. Maintains communication with the Certified School Nurse, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the health and safety needs of students
2. Provides health services, information and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school
3. Completes accident/incident reports and insurance claim forms when appropriate.
4. Compiles data for statistical purposes
5. Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues
6. Delegates appropriately to unlicensed Health Assistants
7. Develops and maintains health care plans for students who require accommodations
8. Maintains up to date emergency information on students
9. Reports communicable diseases to the Lake County Health Department when appropriate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Maintains accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates and use of data to support data retrieval and analysis
2. Maintains ongoing records of student visits to the health office documenting assessments, interventions, and dispositions in individual student health records
3. Manages school health records in accordance with Illinois School Student Records Act, providing efficient retrieval of information and other related archival responsibilities
4. Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies
5. Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties
6. Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology
1. Maintains contact with a professional nursing organization and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge
2. Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health/wellness
3. Performs other such duties and assumes other such responsibilities as may be assigned by the School Principal or Associate Superintendent of Education
DISTRICT CORE COMPETENCIES:
1. Support the establishment of mutual respect and equal human dignity across the entire school community.
2. Welcomes inclusion, equity and diversity.
3. Have an unwavering commitment to the success of all students.
4. Understanding that your identity may be different than students, parents, and staff, you are willing to put those differences aside for the success of all students.
5. Regardless of the identities of students, staff, or parents, works collaboratively to build a successful relationship with them.
6. Willingly anticipate, identify and adopt change.
7. Engage in all job-related interactions and activities, with contacts from within and outside the District, in a courteous and professional manner.
8. Communicate with styles that are approachable and respectful.
9. Participate in professional development and training to become more effective and efficient.
10. Take initiative to manage multiple tasks.
11. Effectively organize work to be as productive as possible.
Manual Dexterity: Work requires definite skilled and accurate physical operations requiring some closely coordinated performance.
Physical Effort: Work requires handling average weight materials or equipment, but not for sustained periods.Working Conditions: Some exposure to definitely disagreeable elements may exist.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 180 days; Monday thru Friday
SALARY RANGE: Based on experience and education
HOW TO APPLY: Internal applicants should apply online at www.dist50.net and attach a resume to the online application. External applicants should apply online at www.dist50.net and attach three letters of recommendations, resume and transcript(s) to the online application.
All applicants must be willing to interview in person and demonstrate skills through a situational analysis. Applicants will be contacted within three weeks if invited for an interview. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Further information regarding this position may be obtained by contacting:
Dr. Lori Casey
APPLICATION DEADLINE: When filled