School District – Evanston Township High School, District 202
Location – Evanston, IL
Job Type – Full time
Category – School Nurse
Minimum Experience/Skill Requirements/Qualifications: Registered Nurse licensure in the
State of Illinois, Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with endorsement in School
Nursing; Current CPR/AED program certification; Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing
Screening technician or willing to obtain it; school nursing experience; prior professional nursing
experience, preferably in pediatric, adolescent, community and mental health nursing and health
program management; individual initiative and professional collaboration/teamwork; excellent
interpersonal relations, and written and oral communication skills; knowledge of school-related
software, Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Bilingual preferred (Spanish/English).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provides direct professional nursing services, first aid, assessment of illness and injury
and emergency care in response to the nursing assessment and in accordance with
professional standards, school policy and procedures and state and local mandates.
2. Provides health information and counseling for students, parents and staff
3. Administers medication with appropriate documentation. Assists in maintaining the
medication administration procedures to safely store, administer, document and monitor
the effectiveness of medication given at school.
4. Participates in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state
mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions, and
the related archival responsibilities
5. Performs mandated screening for vision and hearing and follow-up with the required
6. Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect, as a
7. Makes appropriate assessment and referrals related to alcohol/drug abuse, suicidal
ideation/ gestures and pregnancy.
8. Develops and/or assists in developing and maintaining current health care plans for
students who need or may need special nursing interventions during the school day.
Communicates this information to teachers and other necessary staff as needed.
9. Furthers the broad objectives of education by conducting health activities in a manner
designed to educate students, teachers, parents and the community to assume
individual and group responsibility for personal and community health.
10. Maintains communications with the lead nurse, administrators, teachers, other school
personnel and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action to meet the health and
safety needs of students.
11. Initiates contact with and acts as a liaison between the home, school, health agencies
and health care providers to enhance the health and wellness of students and the school
12. Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health related issues
13. Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the identification, evaluation
and placement of students into special education programs. Writes the health
component of the Individual Education Plan as indicated.
14. Recommend modifications of the school program for students who require
accommodations due to a medical diagnosis or health issue.
15. Maintains documentation of individual health visits
16. Maintains the daily environment of the Health Services facility and supplies
17. Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties
18. Performs other health or school related work as required
19. Collaborates with the School Based Health Center with NorthShore nurses and doctors
to facilitate access to healthcare by students and families, including the coordination of
20. Participates as a member of their professional school nursing and education
organizations and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional
21. Participates as a member of the faculty on district committees and association activities.
22. Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health and
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: The School Nurse position is a full time, 10 month position, teacher certificated pay scale at level commensurate with education, nursing and school nursing experience.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling and significant finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 25% sitting, 75% standing/walking. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and in a generally hazard free environment. ETHS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate regardless of race, creed, gender, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability.
How to apply – https://www.eths.k12.il.us/Page/376
Application Deadline – until filled