Location: Community High School District 155 – Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Position: Full time school nurse position
Job Description: Community High School District 155 is looking for a school nurse beginning with the second semester of the 2022-2023 school year. This is a full-time position that follows the teacher calendar.
JOB TITLE: School Nurse
REPORTS TO: Student Services Coordinator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Current Registered Nurse license in the State of Illinois
- Licensed by the Illinois State Board of Education as a school nurse
- Current First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation program completion
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing screening technician
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with all stakeholders
- Computer literacy and competency in the use of existing technology
JOB GOAL: To provide direct nursing services to students under the supervision of the school and staff members to maximize health and wellness in the school community. All duties are performed in accordance with district/state board of education policies and procedures and state law regarding nurse practice.
- Provides direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff in response to the nursing assessment and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates
- Administers medication with appropriate documentation
- Screens individual students in order to identify students who have a suspected communicable disease or other health concerns
- Participates in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations, and medical conditions, and the related archival responsibilities
- Makes arrangements for and assists with physical examinations when provided by the school
- Performs mandated screening procedures for vision and hearing (requires state credentials as a screener).
- Makes appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter
- Establishes processes to identify students at risk for physical and psychosocial problems and communicates health needs to other school personnel
- Maintains communication with the teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Communicates with school personnel with regard to physician’s excuses for modified and/or non-participation in physical education classes
- Provides health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community
- Participates in Multidisciplinary Staff Conferences (MDC) and IEP meetings concerning individual cases of special needs (academic, social, cultural, emotional, economic)
- Participates in building concussion protocol team and oversees student return to learn process following a concussion
- Completes accident/incident reports for students/staff
- Compiles data for statistical purposes
- Establishes procedures for excluding and readmitting students for reasons of health, as necessary
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues
- Maintains a daily log of student/staff visits and documentation on individual health records as well as maintains a current file of health education materials for students and faculty
- Maintains the daily environment of the health office facility and supplies
- Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
- Performs other health or school-related work as required.
- Maintains contact with a professional nursing organization and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge
- Consults with school administration to establish, review and revise policy and procedures for a comprehensive school health program.
- Participates as an active member of the school community, including the Wellness Committee, representing health/wellness
- Arranges in-service programs for school personnel as necessary