Registered Nurse – Glenview School District 34
School District: Glenview CCSD 34
Location: Glenview, IL
Job Type: Full-Time
Category: Registered Nurse, School Nurse
Description: Registered Nurses (RNs) needed for the 2020-21 school year to provide healthcare to students and staff members to maximize health and wellness in the school community and act as liaison to parents, staff, central office and government agencies on health issues. All duties are performed in accordance with district/state board of education policies and procedures to meet the health and safety needs of students. Will report to the building administrator of assigned school(s) and Executive Director of Student Services.
How to apply: Apply online at www.glenview34.org.
Application deadline: 9/1/2020
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Current Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois
- First Aid, CPR, AED, vision and hearing certification
- Experience with children a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong technology skills
- Administers first aid to staff / students, medication and specialized medical treatments for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children in accordance with State laws and District policies.
- Administers mandated screenings (e.g. vision, dental, hearing, etc.) for the purpose of referring medical conditions and/or providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children.
- Assesses situations involving students’ safety and other health related issues for the purpose of identifying problems, referring for proper treatment and complying with legal requirements.
- Collaborates with agencies and other school safety team members to conduct site assessments (e.g. health issues, student health records, emergency preparedness, building/grounds environments, building facilities, etc.) for the purpose of identifying issues and/or providing recommendations for improving safety and accessibility.
- Collaborates with parents, students, teachers, staff, health care providers, and/or public agencies for the purpose of promoting and/or securing student health services, providing information and complying with legal requirements.
- Conducts age appropriate programs and/or activities in conjunction with classroom curriculum for the purpose of supporting lesson plans established by classroom teachers.
- Develops individual student health care and emergency care plans for students with special care needs for the purpose of providing direction to site personnel and/or implementing directions provided by parents and/or physicians.
- Coordinates daily student attendance and maintains student attendance records in the district’s online student management software.
- Implements health care plans for students with health problems for the purpose of meeting the needs of students with chronic health problems and/or accommodation requirements.
- Maintains contact with parents/guardians for the purpose of advising them of changes in student health and/or recommending further medical and/or emotional intervention.
- Maintains student’s confidential files and records (e.g. health care plans, agency referrals, accident reports, immunization records, etc.) for the purpose of providing information required by legal requirements and professional standards.
- Monitors students referred for illness and/or injury for the purpose of attending to their immediate health care concerns and initiating follow-up care. Orders supplies and materials as needed for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Participates in a variety of meetings, workshops and seminars, Individual Educational Plan meetings, and interdisciplinary teams for the purpose of gathering, conveying and/or sharing information on student health needs, service delivery, and educational programs, and/or improving skills and knowledge.
- Provides care to students with chronic illnesses and extremely high-risk students (e.g. allergies, asthma, diabetes, seizures, medically fragile, etc.) for the purpose of assisting the child in achieving the highest possible functional level.
- Provides training on a variety of health related subjects (e.g. CPR, disaster preparedness, child abuse, health education, medication management, policies and procedures, substance abuse, growth and development, food allergies, OSHA, hygiene, etc.) for the purpose of promoting a healthy lifestyle and/or acting as a resource to students, teachers, and other school personnel.
- Refers students requiring additional medical attention for the purpose of providing required follow-up treatment and services.
- Reports health and safety issues to assigned administrator and appropriate agencies (e.g. fights, suspected child or substance abuse, contagious diseases, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining students’ personal safety, a positive learning environment and complying with regulatory requirements and established guidelines.
- Researches a variety of topics relating to health and medical care (e.g. wellness, nutrition, treatment protocols, childhood diseases, etc.) for the purpose of providing information to staff, students, parents, and the public.
- Responds to emergency medical situations (e.g. severe falls, seizures, prescription reactions, bleeding, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring appropriate immediate medical attention and related follow-up action.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the school.