School District – Lake Forest School District 67
Location – Cherokee Elementary School
Job Type – Full Time
Category – Registered Nurse
Description – see below
How to apply – https://www.applitrack.com/lfsd/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Student+Services
Application Deadline: 3/20/2024
Registered Nurse Job Description
|Department of Student Services
|Educational Support Staff
|Executive Director of Special Education
|The registered nurse assures safe, high quality health care for students to optimize health and wellness. Duties are to be performed in accordance with standards of professional school nurse practice, district/state board of education policies and procedures and Illinois State law regarding nurse practice.
|Education, Experience, and Licensure (required and preferred)
- Valid license as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
- Current certification in CPR-AED usage
- Prior professional nursing experience, preferably pediatric, adolescent, community or mental health nursing, and health program management
- Knowledge of Illinois policy related to student health records (ie. Immunization), Health Insurance, Portability, & Accountability Act (HIPAA) & Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
|I. Nursing Care and Assessment
- Provides and/or delegates direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff including nursing assessment, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, recommending educational modifications, providing follow-up and evaluation, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to develop health care plans, which includes 504 Plans and excludes Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), for students with acute and/or chronic health conditions who may require nursing intervention during the school day.
- Collaborates with parents to obtain yearly emergency action plans for students with medical needs.
- Implements Emergency Action Plans written by medical professionals (i.e., FARE Plans, Asthma Action Plans, Diabetic Care Plans, Seizure Action Plans).
- Accurately documents student health needs in Powerschool.
- Develops and monitors a medication protocol in accordance with District 67 policy guidelines.
- Provides health information and health-related counseling for students, parents and staff.
- Maintains school health records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, child health examinations, and school dental examinations.
- Assists with early intervention programs and services.
- Makes appropriate assessment and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Participates in crisis prevention and management procedures
- Cooperates with local and state public health agencies related to established communicable disease prevention and control programs. Notifies students, families, staff, and as needed the Health Department of outbreaks of communicable illness in the school.
- Provides crisis intervention for students and staff in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal or DSS Administrator.
II. Nursing Knowledge:
- As a member of the multidisciplinary IEP team, a registered nurse accompanies a certified school nurse to IEP meetings when accommodations and goals for a student are health-related to provide information on health visits, medical care, and data on IEP goals.
- Initiates and manages Section 504 plan when the primary accommodations and goals for the student are health-related.
- Provides in-service for school personnel regarding health-related issues.
- Acts as a resource in health education to school personnel, students and families.
- Participates and collaborates in team meetings for nurses.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Reviews accident reports and follows up on accidents to assure corrective action.
- Assess the health and safety needs of the school environment in compliance with OSHA, implementing the Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan and other interventions as indicated.
- Assists in revision of district health manuals and health service policies and procedures in accordance with state mandates and current nursing practice.
- Purchases and maintains health and OSHA supplies and equipment as needed for the health office and school.
- Ensures that the AEDs are working and maintains materials.
IV. Communications and Interpersonal Relationships:
- Promotes a team effort among school/district staff members including respecting the opinions of other staff members, sharing ideas and materials and supporting colleagues.
- Shares relevant information regarding students with appropriate personnel in a confidential manner.
- Promotes positive relationships with parents and maintains ongoing communication with parents regarding instructional programs, classroom policies, practices and procedures.
- Serves as a primary liaison between school personnel and private health care providers for students with medical needs.
- Collaborates with Certified School Nurse(s) on all job-related areas which require their expertise and certification.
- Maintains ongoing communication with administrators, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action, which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Participates in activities to enhance professional growth that may include, but not be limited to, workshops, course work, conferences, seminars and professional publications.
- Demonstrates an awareness of educational issues and knowledge of current research.
- Contributes to the professional community.
- Engages in self reflection related to the evaluation process.
- Demonstrates punctuality in fulfilling responsibilities.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding student information.
- Complies with applicable board/administration policies/regulations.
- Follows district procedures to secure a substitute nurse when absent.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
|While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be mobile and transport instructional materials from one setting to another within the building. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REVIEWED/REVISED: March 2023
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by (an) individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities related to the position. This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with the business necessity and School Board Policy and procedures. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.