LOCATION: Community Consolidated School District 62, 777 Algonquin Road, Des Plaines, IL 60016 – District Schools
JOB TITLE: Certified School Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Student Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
TERM: 10-Month (185 days)
FLSA CATEGORY: Non-Exempt
HOURS: 7.0 Hours/Day
To provide health services in the school, including the delivery of services to students and staff members. Duties are to be performed in accordance with standards of professional school nurse practice and the IL Nursing and Advanced Practice Nursing Act.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned)
1. Possess a valid Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with a school nurse endorsement for the position of certified school nurse;
2. Possess vision and hearing certification (preferred);
3. Able to effectively interpret, summarize and communicate medical or health findings about students;
4. Have a genuine concern for people and a record that clearly demonstrates patterns of strength, trust, open communication and a high degree of empathy in all personal situations;
5. Knowledgeable about current trends in special and regular education;
6. Have an ability to effectively listen to and communicate with students, and adults;
7. Able to establish a collegial relationship with other disciplines;
8. Demonstrate the ability to exercise professional autonomy in order to effectively work within a school setting;
9. Maintain professional conduct, standards, and ethics;
10. Knowledgeable about rules and regulations governing special education and 504 plans;
11. Serve as a member of a multidisciplinary team to screen, conduct medical reviews and recommend placement for the special health and medical needs of the child including appropriate IEP or 504 accommodations;
12. Participate in the health appraisal and health counseling of children including interpretations of the results of health examinations to school personnel, parents, and the child, and to assist in planning the modification of the school program to meet special needs of children;
13. Serve as a liaison between school, home, and community agencies in health matters;
14. Provide instruction to students as needed on their health / medical condition or needs;
15. Advise principals and teachers as requested regarding how to support students in the classroom who have health or medical needs;
16. Provide emergency care to the seriously ill or injured in accordance with established policies and procedures;
17. Oversee the maintenance of health records for all students;
18. Recommend to the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services changes and improvements which should be made in the health services program;
19. Assist in the development and maintenance of a healthful school environment, including the development of a program for the prevention, monitoring, and reporting of communicable diseases as required by local and State health departments;
20. Provide support to Health Service staff and Administrators regarding clarification of medical questions, situations, or concerns;
21. Support the vision and hearing screening programs for selected grades and children;
22. Perform other duties as may be directed by the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services.
This job has no evaluative responsibilities. In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, physical demands and work environment required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Hold a Professional Educator License in State of Illinois
- Current SN Endorsement in State of Illinois
- Current RN State of Illinois license
- Current First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation program completion
- Experience in nursing and school experienced preferred
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing screening technician preferred
- Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology
- Ability to read, interpret and write written and verbal information. Ability to write medical correspondence, and routine reports. Ability to speak effectively with students, staff and the school community.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts using basic mathematics concepts of algebra and geometry related to school district information.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in non-standardized situations.
- Ability to operate a computer and related software; such as, Google Suite, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community. Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, operate office equipment, sit, and occasionally to reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds; such as files and paper supplies.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to change focus. Long term use of computer monitors is required. Requires typing on the computer keyboard with frequent interruptions.
- The position requires the individual to meet deadlines with severe time constraints and to interact with the public and other workers.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Work is usually conducted indoors. This work is normally conducted at multiple school sites. Occasional travel from one school site to another is expected.
Job performance is evaluated in accordance with district guidelines by the evaluator.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive listing of the duties performed in this position. The individuals currently holding this position perform additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.
Community Consolidated School District 62 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy and practice of District 62 to decide all matters relating to employment solely on the basis of the applicant’s ability to perform the essential functions of the position. District 62 ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, or handicap. The District has a policy of active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and non-certificated employees. Any individual needing assistance in making an application for this opening should contact the office of the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources.